Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Another Day Another Dollar




Sunday night has passed, and everything has quieted down for a time.
I am tired but feel good.
Teams come in on Saturday and they get oriented and ussually Sunday is the day that they realize they are practicing medicine in a disaster zone and Haiti. Some react in different ways, "we are not prepared for this, this was not in the job description. I know what needs to be fixed in order to run this hospital. I can save Haiti in a week, just give me the right tools" I listen and slowly my eyes glaze over, or I find myself repeating myself week to week. Mostly though I apologise and say sorry we cannot meet your expectations. This ussually causes some moment of reflection.
Moments of Reflection, this week I have noticed Leogane is slowly waking up from its slumbering depression. Haitians on the street are no longer greeting me with friendly "Hey You" now it is, "Blan, give me one dollar" or "I am hungry, give me something to eat" the refugee camps have stopped distributing daily rations, and Haitians are starving again, it is not fair. It is also time for me to be leaving I think. I do not know how to answer these questions, and there is no amount of money or time I can spend here to fix it.

Today is Wednesday night and I am finally back to my blog. We have a little newborn back with us. This newborn was delivered to a hospital in Port au Prince that had a ventalator. She arrived in a dump truck with a nurse and tech keeping her breathing and from cardiac arrest. After that they picked me up from the airport. 6 weeks ago now. She is back here. She was abandoned at birth so we are finding a family to adopt her in the states. We are bringing her back here to get a birth certificate and start the adoption process.

Life is good here. I cannot complain. Somedays are worse then other but overall it is tolerable.

1 comment: