Sunday, March 14, 2010

Haiti Bound




Hey everyone!!

I took a little break from traveling to finish up my last rotations in Medical School!!! Hahaha, looks like I am gonna be a doctor!! There were a few times I did not think I would make it! Its been tough mentally, emotionally, and physically. So if I can make it to Graduation May 14 I think I might become a real MD.

As for starting a job that has a paycheck, I speak of residency, I find out monday, the ides of March, no joke!! if I matched or if I am one of the select few who has to scramble into a program next year. It means just that, beg everyone for a spot!
I find out where I matched on Thursday the 18th!
However I will be in Haiti on Skype at that time hopefully!
I leave for Haiti on the 17th! I am gonna ask everyone to drink a guinness for me!
I will be blogging about my experience. But I am basically going to be an onsite coordinator for the World Wide Village NGO organization (Worldwidevillage.org) The University of Iowa is the medical team that is responsible for it being in Leogane Haiti. They are located in the exact same place I was back in 2003. It is really gonna be good to go to a place I called home for a time.
Anyway WWV is setting up a long term hospital for the Leogane people since the hospital collapsed. I will be coordinating teams, administering the clinic, hospital and OR. I am not sure how much medicine I am gonna get to do but I speak Kreyol could volunteer 2 months, and they need some organization, so that is what I will do and get into the OR when I am able!
I will be posting when I am able I appreciate the prayers, support, and the comments!! thank you all for getting me this far on my life journey!

The pictures are of the Hospital and the newly renovated Catholic Church I attended when I lived there. It and the school were leveled and several priests, nuns, and students died in the collapse.

1 comment:

  1. I knew that you would find a way to go to Haiti! Good luck on your journey. We will keep you and all those you are helping in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete